02 9797 8878
374 Liverpool Rd,
Ashfield, NSW 2131
Monday10:00 am–12:00 am
Tuesday10:00 am–12:00 am
Wednesday10:00 am–1:00 am
Thursday10:00 am–1:00 am
Friday10:00 am–1:00 am
Saturday10:00 am–2:00 am
Sunday 10.00am - 1:00am
Vice President: Kevin Connelly OAM JP
Anzac Day & Remembrance Day
April 25th, 1915 was the day the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula. After 8 months of fighting and both sides suffering heavy casualties, the Allies evacuated. More than 11,000 ANZACS died at Gallipoli and more than 23,000 were wounded. This was a defining time for Australians and April 25th is the day we remember those who died in wars.
April 25th was officially named ANZAC Day in 1916, however the first dawn service was not held unitl 1923 and it has since become a special tradition for Australian & New Zealanders.
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."
"Lest We Forget"
*The Ode comes from For the Fallen, a poem by Laurence Binyon.
In 1918 some of the local men returning from World War 1 banded together and began holding meetings in a building situated on the open air skating rink in Liverpool Road, Ashfield, where the Ashfield public school now stands.
As the members attending these meetings grew, it was necessary to find larger accommodations.
The members of the School of Arts offered a room above the library and the meetings were held there until 1945.
As men returned from World War II, the membership increased and the School of Arts room became too small for meetings.
Over the years, funds had been raised and the purchase of a building of their own was possible with some help from the bank. The first stage of our present building was completed in 1955.
On the 12th of March 1955, an official opening ceremony was held and the new building began occupancy.
Later in 1955, the Ashfield Sub-Branch Club was officially formed and an application for a Club licence was made and later granted by the Licencing Court. The first licensee was George Constable.
By 1958 it became apparent the current premises were too small once again, so plans were drawn up and, with the aid of a bank loan and a loan of $40000 from the Sub-Branch savings, extensions were completed and officially opened on the 3rd February, 1962.
On 14th November 1972, the Club was incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee.
In 1981 major extensions were completed and the addition of a Bistro, Dining Room and a new Foyer, again improved trading.
Further renovations were completed in 1990, 1992 and 2011, and included extensions to the southern side of the premises. These renovations also included the addition of an alfresco gaming and smoking area.
No ripped jeans, including designer ripped jeans
No swimwear, board shorts, football shorts
No offensive or derogatory language to be displayed on clothing
Overalls permitted only until 7pm
Men may wear sandals without socks until 7pm
All patrons must be clean & tidy at all times